Duration: 10.5 hours
Type of Service: Tuscany Castle Tour with Chianti Wine Tasting
Immerse yourself in the Tuscan countryside among the lush hills, endless vineyards and ancient castles of Tuscany’s beautiful Chianti region. This tiny corner of paradise has captured the hearts, minds, and palates of all who have visited it over its millennial history, and our full day Tuscany castles tour from Florence explores the noble traditions and residences of this realm, together with a visit to a family-owned cellar and tastings of four delicious wines.
See the Castles and Taste Their Wines - Meet your expert tour guide, then hop aboard a private coach for a short 1-hour transfer filled with entertaining commentary before arriving at the first stop of the day, Verrazzano Castle. This privately owned gem dominates the area’s rolling hills with its tower and is still inhabited inside a parameter that was originally an Etruscan settlement. Listen as your guide paints a vivid picture of the castle’s past, its rivalry with the neighboring Castello di Vicchiomaggio and its significance as the birthplace of Giovanni da Verrazzano, the Italian navigator who discovered much of North America’s eastern coast.
During the castle tour, you’ll experience what it was like to call this place home, before visiting the wine cellars which date to the year 1150. Indulge in a three flight guided tasting of Chianti’s famous wines, including a Chianti Classico DOGC, with local extra-virgin olive oil and pecorino cheese topped with the castle’s balsamic dressing, all of which will be available for purchase.
Experience the Real Tuscany - Then it’s a quick 20-minute hop to the charming town of Greve in Chianti, where you’ll have free time for lunch in one of its authentic Tuscan restaurants with tips from your guide on where to go to enjoy the best in Chianti’s regional cuisine, with time afterwards to shop for souvenirs, food and wine in the main piazza, exploring its trademark arched colonnades and savoring the sights and flavors of small town Tuscany. After the break, enjoy the ride through local winding roads and evocative landscapes until you reach Brolio Castle. Considered one of the most beautiful in Italy, this privately owned jewel has been inhabited by the Ricasoli family since 1141. Learn its spectacular history as part of Florence’s bulwark against its rival Siena, and about one of its many illustrious owners, Baron Bettino Ricasoli, Italy’s 2nd Prime Minister, who created the first modern Chianti “recipe" in 1872, with 70% Sangiovese, 15% Canaiolo and 15% Malvasia Bianca.
Your guided visit includes the castles lush Italian gardens, the family chapel, and crypt, as well as a walk along the ramparts to survey the surrounding vineyards, with a tasting of the castle’s own wine. If you’re looking for the magic of Tuscany in a day from Florence, this is the tour for you.
Things to know:
- Visit Verrazzano Castle and Cellar /Visit Brolio Castle with gardens and family chapel
- Visit small town of Greve in Chianti
- View the beautiful Tuscan landscape of the Chianti region
- Air-conditioned bus with local expert English-Speaking Driver Guide
- Small group tour of 25 people or less / 4 people needed for tour/inquire about availability
- Tasting of 4 local wines, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar tasting
- Wear comfortable walking or tennis shoes
- This tour is not fully accessible for wheelchair users or people with walking disabilities. However, please contact us directly and we will be able to take you on alternative routes suitable for you.
- Tour offered on Wednesdays and Fridays / Tours begins at 8:30 am
- Meeting point location - Santa Maria Novella Train Station ( more details available upon booking)
- Tour operates April – October (Castle & Vineyards are closed from November – mid-March)