Duration: 3 hours
Type of Service: Driving Tour of The Great Basilicas of Rome - private tour
Rome is the world center of Catholicism, and some of the most precious religious sites are located here. This tour will allow you to visit these Basilicas and grasp both the spiritual as well as artistic greatness of these sites!
Visiting Rome, regardless of your religious beliefs, is a chance to experience something out of the ordinary! On this private driving tour, you see all of the most important churches and see the relics they hold. This tour will take you to the remaining 3 of the most prized basilicas in Rome. With the help of your guide, you will see and hear about the works of art that have graced these sacred walls for centuries. You will learn about the artists who have been inspired by the Biblical stories and the lives of saints and honored to be able to express their talent working for the Popes. With the help of your driver, these locations though distant one from another will be comfortably packed in a half day visit.
St. Paul Outside the Walls -Your journey will first bring you to the Basilica of St Paul Outside the Walls (San Paolo Fuori le Mura), where the remains of St. Paul the Apostle are believed to be buried. You will get a chance to see this tomb of incredible value to the Christian world, believed to be placed at the site of the saint's martyrdom.
Arch-Basilica of St. John in Lateran - Many people don't know that the Cathedral of Rome (and the Catholic World) is not St Peter's and is, instead, on the other side of the city! With a guide accompanying you on your journey, you'll explore the first church of the Catholic World!
Holy Staircase - What's more, next to the cathedral of San Giovanni, you will have a chance to see the Holy Staircase, believed to be very stairs that Christ had climbed on the day of crucifixion, transferred by the Popes from Palace of Pontius Pilat from Jerusalem.
Santa Maria Maggiore - Another important stop will be the Basilica of St Mary Major (Santa Maria Maggiore), where you will be able to see the tomb of the great artist Bernini and find out about the famous legend about the very location of the church! This is also the only one of the 4 great basilicas to be dedicated to Virgin Mary!
St. Peter in Chains - Finally, you will finish at St Peter in Chains (San Pietro in Vincoli), where you will see the chains that once bound St. Peter himself while imprisoned by the Roman authorities. Another stunning gem of this church is a statue of Moses, created by the incredible Michelangelo.
Things to Know:
- This tour will allow you to experience things that very few people will ever have the chance to experience. Your door-to-door service means that you get to sit back and relax during this tour.
- Visit many sites off the beaten track that are some of Rome's greatest cultural and spiritual points of interest
- You will collect you from your hotel if you are at a centrally located hotel. Depending on the location of your hotel, the meeting point location may change.
- Tour offered Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday at 9:00 am 0r 2:00 pm based on availability
- Knees and shoulders for men and women need to be covered when entering or you may be disallowed entry!
- We will be entering some of the basilicas during the time of the mass, which means that certain parts of the basilicas will be blocked off for the general public. We will do our best to show you as much as possible inside.
- We will visit the Holy Staircase, but there will be no time for climbing the staircase during the tour.
- This popular tour must be booked 6-8 weeks in advance
- Wear comfortable walking or tennis shoes