Duration: 2.5 hours
Type of Service: Walking History Tour and Food Tour of Cannaregio District in Venice
Experience an authentic taste of Venice on this relaxed evening tour through the streets and canals of the city’s most historic and picturesque neighborhoods, the Jewish Ghetto, and Cannaregio. With an expert local guide and an intimate group of up to 12 people, you’ll explore these unique areas and savor an authentic Venetian experience – Cicchetti.
Located away from Venice's hectic, big tourist attractions, the Jewish Ghetto is a favorite place among locals. You’ll appreciate being away from the crowds as you explore the Ghetto’s outdoor market and specialty stores with your guide.
Along the way, your guide will describe the fascinating history of this unique neighborhood. There were times when the Jewish community used to be locked in at night and on religious holidays. During war-time, this neighborhood was a refuge for Jews, attracting so many that buildings grew up haphazardly to accommodate them. This colorful jumble of buildings rises along some of the prettiest and quietest canals in Venice.
You’ll visit three bars, sampling a glass of delicious regional wine and a selection of local Cicchetti at each. Take advantage of this opportunity to discuss local ingredients and cuisine with your knowledgeable guide and your group. Venetians claim that their food is the best in Italy, but you'll be able to judge for yourself!
The charming bars we’ve chosen are typical of Venice. You’ll see stone walls hung with shelves of gleaming wine bottles and locals chatting animatedly. Here, off the beaten path, Venice is a lot more relaxed and informal. After work, Venetians head to their local bar for a drink, a bite, and some conversation. This is a typical evening in Venice, you’ll feel like you’re having a relaxing evening out with new friends and locals.
Things to Know:
- Expert English-speaking tour guide - learn about the history and culture of the Cannaregio area
- Walk through one of the most populous districts in Venice
- Evening walking tour that begins 6:00 pm at a designated location - intimate group for 12 people or less
- Like Spanish tapas, Cicchetti is all about meeting friends to enjoy a number of small local dishes with some wine. You’ll enjoy these delicacies in three local bars as we stroll through some of the liveliest and most charming areas of Venice.
- Tour is offered Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday
- This tour combines art, culture, historical information, and food and wine tastings.