Duration: 9 Hours
Type of Service: Montepulciano & Montalcino - Tuscan Countryside with wine, art and beautiful scenery
Discover Tuscany’s renowned wine country on a day trip from Florence with a small group. Led by a guide, venture to the town of Montepulciano by minivan and stop at a rustic wine cellar to taste the area’s vino di nobile blends. Then head to Montalcino to sample three Brunello di Montalcino wines alongside a 3-course lunch. Top off your day with a stroll to Monte Oliveto Abbey, one of Tuscany’s hidden gems. Numbers are limited to eight people to keep this experience as intimate as possible.
Your tours offer you a more personalized and in-depth experience. Lasting from 9 am until 6 pm, you will have all the time you need to experience the beauty of the Tuscan countryside. Our experienced driver-guide will drive you and a party of no more than 8 people. Since you are in a small group, our guides also have far more time to interact with you and answer any questions you may have.
Florence to Montepulciano
The tour begins at 9:00 am from a central meeting point in Florence where you will meet your driver - guide. From there you will be driven to Montepulciano where you will have time to explore the town, its famous San Biagio Church and the Contucci cellar which boasts more than 1000 years of history. Here you will be able to take part in a wine tasting before traveling onwards to Montalcino, departing at around 12noon.
Montepulciano to Piombaia
The first stop on this section of the trip will be Piombaia wine farm, or similar, where you’ll enjoy a private lunch and some of the farm’s own wine. The lunch will include appetizers, a pasta dish, and dessert. During lunch, you will be able to take part in a wine tasting – where you’ll experience three different types of Brunello wine.
Monte Olive to Abbey
Next, visit Monte Oliveto Abbey, a stunning Benedictine monastery dating from 1300 and located in a spectacular location and where you can admire the beautiful frescoes by famous Tuscany Renaissance artists, the likes of Signorelli and Sodoma.
Then it is off to the medieval hill town of Montalcino. It boasts beautiful views of the surrounding valleys. You will be able to walk through its charming city center and see its medieval fortress – guided by your driver who will walk with you.
Return to Florence
Your memorable day exploring the beautiful Tuscan countryside will end with a lovely drive back to Florence via the Cassia Road taking you through the stunning Chianti hills. You will arrive back in Florence city center at approximately 6 pm.
Things to Know
- This tour will be made up of 8 people in total per minivan and you will be driven/guided by an English- speaking experienced and licensed driver-guides.
- The tour begins at 9 am in Florence and returns to Florence by 6:00 pm
- This tour is available on a Monday, Wednesday or Friday, each week
- The tour includes the cost of lunch and wine tastings
- Full-day trip to Tuscany’s hill towns and wine country from Florence Explore the wine towns of Montepulciano and Montalcino
- San Biagio church Visit a winery near Montalcino
- Learn about winemaking in Tuscany from the experts in the field
- Enjoy an appetizer lunch at a winery with samples of Tuscan meats and cheeses with wine
- Explore wine cellars and be introduced to new wines
- This tour is not fully accessible for wheelchair users or people with walking disabilities. However, please contact us directly and we will be able to take you on alternative routes suitable for you
- Tour operates with a minimum of 4 participants
- Tour operates April – October