Duration: 3 hours
Type of Service: From Sorrento - Farm to Table Experience - Guided Tour of "La Masseria Farm - small group tour
Enjoy a relaxed guided Tour of "La Masseria Farm since 1898.
Visitors to the farm will see a typical Sorrento Peninsula garden, beautifully landscaped with a wide variety of crops. The farm extends to a valley composed of volcanic rocks and soil; its stunning terraces slope down to the Naples Gulf. On the terraces, olive trees produce the typical Sorrento Peninsula Extra virgin Olive Oil, lemon trees produce the exclusive "Oval of Sorrento" variety, and chestnut trees produce sweet, fragrant fruit. Trunks of the Chestnut trees are used to build the famous “Pergolas” to defend the lemons from bad weather. In addition to citrus fruits such as oranges and mandarins, the farm cultivates different varieties of fruit trees and seasonal vegetables. Summer time crops include tomatoes, eggplants, zucchini, and onions.
Learn about lemon and olive oil farming in this region. See friendly animals (goats, chickens and pigs), seasonal crops, fruit trees, hives for pollination/honey production, lemon and olive groves with explanations about production, the farm’s history, hands-on demonstrations of traditional farming techniques followed by a visit of the ancient wine cellar, little farm's museum and old olive oil mill.
You will experience the tasting of the products such as typical homemade lemonade, sliced lemons with sugar, honey and extra virgin olive oil on homemade bread and local cheese.
At the end you'll taste farm's genuine products and you will enjoy an authentic Italian meal accompanied by quintessential beverages which will leave you breathless.
Things to Know:
- Meet the Gargiulo family and learn the day to day operations of the family farm
- Visit the farm animals on the farm, and stroll among the lemon and orange groves, olive trees, fig trees, and garden
- A family run farm with tasting of the homemade products they make
- Tour of the family wine cellar
- Enjoy an authentic lunch with fresh ingredients grown on the farm with home-made wine
- Feel free to bring your camera, wear sunscreen and hat in summer and comfortable tennis shoes
Tour begins at 10:00am with hotel pick-up at 9:30am
- Tour days are Monday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday
Meeting point location - Pick-up from hotel in center city of Sorrento - more details upon booking