Duration: 8 hours
Type of Service: Siena Foodie Tour with Charcuterie Lunch at Salumeria – private tour with one hour visit to the Siena Cathedral
You will be picked up from the Siena train station if coming from Florence or your accommodations in Siena. Private door to door service is also available from your Florence accommodations. The medieval town of Siena is located 1 hour, 20 minutes south of Florence.
This special foodie tour starts in the heart of the ancient hilltop town of Siena. We will visit a cafe for coffee, where the owners roast their own coffee beans as they have for 3 generations.
Then we will make the short walk to a family owned generation bakery to hear the history and sample many of the local Sienese desserts.
If this tour is booked on a Tuesday or Saturday, we can visit a local farmers market for a sampling of the Tuscan Pecorino cheeses, and honey, among other things.
Next, we make the short drive outside the walls of Siena, to a Salumeria for lunch. This is a historical delicatessen, which offers artesian quality products. The salamis are lovingly made by, the Norcino, using local recipes that are 300 years old. All made from local livestock without any use of colorants, preservatives, milk-based ingredients or gluten.
Following our lunch, we will make a short drive to visit a family winery for a wine and olive oil tasting. At the end of the tasting we will return to Siena or drop off at the Siena train station or transfer back to Florence.
Things to Know
- Siena is a city in Tuscany, Italy. It is the capital of the province of Siena
- The historic center of Siena has been declared by UNESCO a World Heritage Site
- Piazza del Campo is the heart of Siena, where you just must spend some of your time once in town
- Piazza del Campo is a huge square and is also considered one of Europe’s greatest medieval squares and twice a year a historical horse race called Il Palio takes place there
- The square is transformed into a medieval race track for the 400 + year traditional event
- Lunch includes a large selection of salami and meats. The charcuterie is handcrafted by the owner as well as other tasty delights. Wine is served with lunch.
- Tour cost includes private transportation with driver and guide, round-trip transportation, food and wine tastings, and wine with lunch
- One-hour visit to the famous and beautiful Siena’s Cathedral - knees and shoulders must be covered for both men and women
- Wear comfortable walking or tennis shoes
- Pick-up from Florence accommodations for 2 people is $364.00 per person for the roundtrip door to door transfer with food and wine tastings and wine with lunch
- Pick-up from Siena accommodations for 2 people is $316.00 per person to include food and wine tastings and wine with lunch
- We will take care of your round-trip train arrangements if guests choose to take the train from Florence to Siena (estimated $24.00 per person round trip tickets)
- Tour is offered March to October
- Tour is offered Monday – Saturday based on availability
- Tour pick-up time is 9:30am
- There is a minimum of 2 people for this tour
- Enjoy this private tour with your English-speaking driver Massi who is a native of Siena
- Massi and Deb are excellent hosts and will provide you with an amazing food journey through Siena
- Bottled water is provided in the van