Duration: 2 hours
Type of Service: Vatican Under the Stars Evening Tour - small group tour
Are you looking for unusual things to do in Rome? How about touring the Vatican at night? Not only does this special small group Vatican night tour let you skip the crowds, lines and heat, but it also provides a fresh way to see the Vatican’s amazing collections. If you aren’t an early morning person, or you just want less distractions as you enjoy the museum’s treasures, this is the best Vatican tour for you. This two hour tour includes:
- After-hours access to the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel
- An English-speaking guide with expertise in art history
- Access to the treasures inside the Vatican without the heat and crowds
- A maximum group size of 13 people
Night Tour of Vatican Museums - Skipping the line, take a journey with your expert Vatican guide through art history as you walk through the rooms of the most fascinating “living” museums on earth. See works of art in the Pinecone Courtyard and a great view of St. Peter's Basilica. View sculptures handed down to us from the Ancient Romans in the Pio-Clementine Collection. Pass through the Candelabra Gallery, Gallery of Tapestries and Gallery of the Maps as your guide explains the history and stories surrounding these art collections.
The School of Athens by Raphael - Learn about the complexities of Raphael's fresco in the former papal apartments. Raphael was one of Rome's most famous Renaissance artists and he encompassed all the ideals of a Renaissance man. He designed and frescoed multiple rooms connected to the Vatican Museums. In addition to other masterpieces, visit one of Raphael’s most famous works of art, The School of Athens.
The Sistine Chapel at Night - Our evening Vatican tour concludes in Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel, where the ceiling and the altar wall are adorned by world-famous and inspiring frescoes. Only when you enter the Sistine Chapel is it clear how high the ceiling is and how many paintings are up there. At this point, it is impossible not to appreciate how difficult it must have been for Michelangelo to lay on his back and toil at his masterpiece, year after year. Since the Sistine Chapel is inside the Vatican Museums, it is included in your Vatican tour tickets.
The Sistine Chapel is a place of worship, therefore, speaking inside is not allowed. Since our guide cannot explain the frescoes while you are inside, we explain the Chapel in advance and provide you with a map/handout for reference before you enter. Men and women must cover their knees and shoulders before entering. We understand the summers in Rome get hot, a good alternative is to bring a scarf or shawl to cover up with before you enter.
Take Your Time and Explore the Collections - If you want to stay inside the Vatican Museums after the conclusion of your evening tour, go right ahead! The museums remain open for another two hours after the guided tour concludes. Take your time and revisit your favorite works of art or simply wander around taking in the intense beauty of your surroundings.
Things to Know
- Tour is offered April - October
- Tour is offered on Friday nights only
- Tour is offered at 6:45pm /Tour check in at 6:30pm
- VIP After Hours Access
- This tour does not include a visit to St. Peter's Basilica because it is closed at night.
- Meeting point location: in front of Caffe Vaticano, directly across the street from the Vatican Museums Entrance on Viale Vaticano. A representative will be there holding a sign with the tour name on it – more details are provided upon booking
- Cover your knees and shoulders - avoid shorts, and skirts/dresses and tank tops that do not cover your knees and shoulders. If you're a woman and you are wearing something that bares your shoulders, bring a shawl or sweater.
- Comfortable walking shoes or tennis shoes are highly recommended
- No tripods, large purses or large backpacks can be brought into the museums